Kerala Sahitya Academy
|KERALA SAHITYA AKADEMI|
KERALA SAHITYA AKADEMI
|Tel||+91 487 2331069|
|Fax||+91 487 2331069|
The Kerala Sahitya Akademi is an autonomous institution established for the promotion and development of Malayalam language and literature.Formally inaugurated by the then Raja Pramukh late Chithira Thirunal Balarama Varma Raja of Travancore at Kanakakunu Palace, Thiruvananthapuram on 15th October, 1956, the Akademi started functioning in the Secretariat, Thiruvananthapuram and later on was shifted to a room in the Thrissur Museum Bungalow. In September, 1957 it was again shifted to the present beautiful building near the Thrissur Town Hall.
The Akademi functions under the overall control of a General Council consisting of eminent persons representing different branches of Malayalam literature, and is assisted by an Executive Board consisting of the President, Vice President, District Collector as Treasurer, Secretary of the Akademi and Secretary to Government in charge of Cultural Department or his nominee and persons elected by the General Council from among its members.
Apart from this there will be a Finance Committee, with the Treasurer as the Chairman, a nominee of the Secretary to Government in charge of the Culture Department, a nominee of the Secretary to Government in charge of Finance Department, one member of the Executive Board nominated by the Committee and one member of the General Council nominated by the Council.
The main activities of the Kerala Sahitya Akademi are:
- Encourage or arrange translations of literacy works from Malayalam to other languages and vice versa.
- Publish literacy works including history of literature, bibliographies, dictionaries, encyclopedia, directories of men of letters etc.
- Award prizes and give recognition and assistance to individual writers.
- Encourage cultural organizations engaged in the development of literature.
- Organize or sponsor literacy conferences, seminars and symposia.
- Promote and help research in the field of language and literature.
- Promote cultural and literacy exchanges with other languages and writers.
- Encourage propagation and study of literature among university students and the masses.
- Organize camps and study classes on literature for young writers.
- Help study tours by writers, organize cultural exchanges among men of letters.
- Promote literacy and cultural programs among agricultural and industrial workers.
- Conduct exhibitions of recognized works of great writers in order to assist and help the publication of these books.
- Confer fellowships to distinguished writers
For more information: www.keralasahityaakademi.org