| Application Forms
|| GOs and Circulars
||Notifications|| RTI Act
Public Works Department
About the Department
Public works government in the State of Travancore (which later formed the major part of Kerala State following the reorganisation of states in 1956) made its beginning in the year 1823 with the formation of the Maramath Department as a branch of the Huzur Cutchery (Government Secretariat) with an executive branch known as the Panivakai Maramath. The Administration Report of the department for the year 1873-74 states that "the new roads of which very nearly 1000 miles have been either completely opened or are in various stages of progress have tapped an enormous tract of the country hitherto almost inaccessible, giving fresh impetus to agriculture".
Kerala's Socio-economic development reached such an important stage in the beginning of the twenty first century that further growth became possible only by reconstructing and modernising important roads in the State. At the national level when the important cities are to be interconnected with super highway corridors Kerala had to develop her own National Highway link roads to partake of the resultant economic growth. As a part of this effort discussions were held with the Central Government. Consequently Kerala entered into the State Support Agreement with the Centre. Decision was taken to develop NH 17 and NH 47 into four/six lane state super highways. The follow up measures are being taken by the Government showing enough urgency.
Line departments, Institutions and organizations under the department