Social Justice Department Page
Smt. K. K. Shailaja Teacher
Minister for Health and Social Justice
Office: Room No. 216,
North Sandwich Block,
Phone: 0471- 2327876/2327976
Mob :9447982200/ 7034430000
Fax :0471- 2327016
|Department of Social Justice|| OFFICE |
Ground Floor, Secretariat
Shri. Biju Prabhakar IAS
Special Secretary, Social Justice
Room No. 620
South Block, Secretariat
Ph: 0471- 2517311
The Social Justice Department was formed on 9 September 1975 for the implementation of social welfare programmes and services in Kerala. The Department initiates and implements welfare programmes and services for women in need and distress, differently abled and mentally challenged persons, women and children, destitute orphans and neglected street children and provides social security for the aged and destitute through a network of organizations, residential institutions and non-institutional schemes. The Social Justice Department also ensures proper implementation of important welfare legislations such as
- 1. The Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection of Children) Act 2000,
- 2. The Dowry Prohibition Act 1958,
- 3. The Probation of Offender's Act,
- 4. The Domestic Violence Act 2005,
- 5. The Immoral Traffic (Prevention) Act 1986,
- 6. Maintenance and Welfare of Parents and Senior Citizen Act 2000, through the Social Justice Directorate. The Directorate also provides financial assistance to the differently abled for aids and appliances, scholarships and pensions to the needy in the State. In addition, it promotes flagship programmes for women and creates general awareness among the public about its welfare measures.
The Social Justice Department has been coordinating the Social Welfare measures covering the needy sections of the population and providing social security to all those in need by harnessing its resources and mobilizing public participation. Recognising the need for expansion of its ambit of activities the Department is now poised for reorganization and a separate department is envisaged for Women's Development.
The Department has adopted and implemented almost all the new Central Government legislations such as the Domestic Violence Act to protect women from domestic violence, Maintenance and Welfare of Parents and Senior Citizens Act within a few months of their enactment by the Parliament. The Department has also declared ‘State Policy for Women' and also ‘State Policy for the Elderly'.
The Department has recently taken a very important step to ensure that all the disabled persons of the state are provided with ID cards within a specific time frame so as to enable them to claim the benefits under the persons with Disabilities (Equal opportunities, Protection of Rights and Full participation) Act, from different organizations using a single ID card.
Major Objectives are:
- Welfare of Women and Children
- Welfare of Handicapped
- Protection and care of orphans, destitute and aged
- Social Defense including Probation and after care
- Adoption services
- JJ Services
- Promotion of Voluntary sector in Welfare Programme
- Organization chart (PDF)
Line departments, Institutions and organizations under the department
The Kerala State Social Security Mission, a charitable society sponsored by the Social Justice Department, which was set up on 14th October 2008 is a novel initiative of the State Government to cater the social security needs of the population of the State on a mission mode. A corpus fund of Rs.65 crores has been set apart for the Mission by the State Government.
The main objective of the Mission is to formulate and implement social security programmes through the State. It also aims in conduction research and studies on various social problems and extension of the research finding for the betterment of the society at large. The mission also aims to undertake documentation of important literature on social research in development, health, service, technology and environment.
For more information: www.socialsecuritymission.gov.in
- Kerala State Women's Development Corporation
The Kerala State Women's Development Corporation was incorporated in 1988 with the main objectives of implementation programmes for the economic development of women in the State and to formulate, promote and implement any scheme aimed at the welfare of women in Kerala to enable them to earn a better living. The Corporation has been implementing self-employment loan schemes and thousands of women under the poverty line have been benefitted under this scheme.
- Kerala State Handicapped Persons' Welfare Corporation
The Kerala State Handicapped Persons' Welfare Corporation was established in 1979. Its main aims and objectives are to formulate, promote and implement schemes aimed at the rehabilitation or improvement of the living conditions of the disabled. This includes the visually impaired, and the physically and mentally challenged. The Kerala State Handicapped Persons' Welfare Corporation is presently running two units for helping the differently abled.
- Kerala State Women's Commission
The Kerala State Women's Commission, a statutory organization under the State Government was constituted under Section 5 of Kerala Women's Commission Act 1990 on 14th March 1996. With a chairperson and six members, its mandate is to improve the status of women in Kerala and to inquire into unfair practices affecting them.
- Kerala State Social Welfare Board
The Kerala State Social Welfare Board, which is assisted by the Central Social Welfare Board, provides support to voluntary organizations, aimed at strengthening their role in the fields of children's welfare and women's empowerment. Incentives for the process are provided by pointing them towards income-generating activities and supporting their efforts.
- Commissionerate of Persons with Disabilities
- Kerala State Council for Child Welfare
The Kerala State Council for Child Welfare, constituted in 1940, and affiliated to Indian Council for Child Welfare has the State Government as Patron, the State Chief Minister as President and the State Minister for Social Welfare as First Vice President.
- National Institute of Speech and Hearing (NISH)
The National Institute of Speech and Hearing (NiSH) is a Society set up by the Government of Kerala and registered under Travancore-Cochin Literacy and Scientific Charitable Societies Act, 1955 on 23rd March 1997. The mission of NISH is to serve as a comprehensive, multipurpose institution for the total rehabilitation and education of persons with speech and hearing impairment.
One of the major initiatives of the Department was the setting up of the Kerala Social Security Mission, the first organization of the kind in the country to cater to social security needs of the destitute, chronically ill, aged and other disadvantaged section of the society.
The major schemes implemented by the Social Justice Department are
- Central Government Schemes
- Family Counseling Centres
- National Awards for Child Welfare
- Rajiv Gandhi Manv Seva Award
- Scheme for prevention of alcoholism and drug abuse
- Grant-in-aid under the Deendayal disabled scheme
- Grant-in-aid programmes for older persons
- Assistance to disabled persons for purchase or/fitting aids and appliances
- Schemes for substance (drug) abuse and prevention
- Integrated programme for the older persons
- Vayoshreshta Samman Award for the Aged
- National Award for the best disabled employees and institutions employing them
- Awards for individuals and organizations in the service of women
- Udisha Training Programme
- Nutrition Programme for Adolescent Girls (NPAG)
- An Integrated Scheme for street children
- Scheme for welfare of children in need of care and protection
- Child line services
- National Child Award for Exceptional Achievement
- Kishori Sakthi Yojana
- Integrated Child Development Services
- Anganwadi Karyakarti Bima Yojana
- Sisu Greh Scheme
2. State Government Schemes
- Assistance to local self-governments to start old-age homes and day care centres.
- Grant-in-aid to orphanages
- Grant-in-aid for the payment of boarding fees of children from Children's Homes
- Flagship Programme on finishing school for women
- Flagship Programme for gender awareness
- Anganwadi workers and helpers awards
- Institutions for the welfare of the disabled
- State award to best employees, employers and institutions for differently abled
- World disabled day celebrations
- Marriage Assistance to differently abled women and daughters of differently abled parents
- Community based rehabilitation programme for the differently abled
- Senior citizens act 2007
- Distress relief fund for the disabled
- Grant-in-aid to voluntary organizations running homes for the differently abled
- Financial assistance to blind and orthopedically handicapped advocates
- Vocational Training Centres for the Disabled
- Scholarships for disabled students
- Scholarships for mentally challenged students
- Implementation of the Domestic Violence Act
- Programme Development and Monitoring Cell for Juvenile Justice Administration
- Implementation of Probation of Offender's Act
- Implementation of Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection of Children) Act 2000 and amended Act 2006
- Implementation of Prohibition of Child Marriage Act
- Implementation of Maintenance and Welfare of Parents
- Benefits to Anganwadi Workers and Helpers through welfare fund.
- Assistance to widow remarriage
- Assistance to women prisoners
- Nutrition Supplement to HIV affected women and children
- Grant-in-aid to ex-convicts and ex-pupils, probationers and ex-inmates
- Victim Rehabilitation Scheme
Various schemes being implemented by the different arms of the Social Justice Department are given below: Through
Directorate of Social Justice
1. State Plan of Action for the child
2. Integrated Child Development Services (ICDS)
3. Anganwadi Karyakatri Bima Yojana
4. Supplementary Nutrition Programme
5. Kishori Shakthi Yojana
6. Take Home Ration Scheme
7. Juvenile Justice Services-Observation Homes, Children's Homes and Special Homes, Juvenile Fund
8. Udisha Training Programme
9. Programme for Gender Awarness
10. Finishing School for Women
11. Implementation of Dowry Prohibition Act
12. Implementation of Child Marriage Prohibition Act 2006
13. Implementation of Domestic Violence Act 2005
14. Nutrition Programme for Adolescent Girls
15. Maintenance and Welfare of Parents and Senior Citizens Act 2007
16. Swadhar Scheme
17. Institution for Aged Homes for the aged and disabled, Old Age Homes, Day Care Centres for the aged
18. Institutions for the disabled. Home for mentally deficient children, Care Home for differentially abled children, Pratheeksha Bhavan, Vocational Training Centres.
19. Welfare Programmes for differently abled
- Scholarship for differentially abled students
- Scholarships for the mentally challenged
- Assistance for buying/fitting aids and appliances
- Assistance to blind and orthopedically handicapped advocates
- Community based Rehabilitation Programme
- Marriage assistance to differentially abled women and daughters of differentially abled parents
- Distress relief fund for the differentially abled
- Awards for employers and employees
- Awards for best institutions
- Asha Bhavans
- Rescue Homes
- After-Care Homes
- Short Stay Homes
- One-day Homes
- Cancer Suraksha Scheme
- Nutrition Supplements for HIV affected women and children
- Psychosocial Counseling for adolescent girls in schools
- Karunya Deposit Scheme for mentally and physically challenged children
- Missing Child Search and Child Protection Home Link Network
- Assistance to children of women prisoners
- Sanadha Balyam
- Suicide Prevention amoung adolescents and children
- Financial assistance for physically challenged women, female children of physically challenged couples, victims of social injustice
- Education grants for special schools
- Autism Special Schools
- Mangalya Scheme for widow remarriage
- Premarital counseling
- Finishing School for women
- Fixed deposit scheme for severely disabled girl child
- Degree courses for students with hearing impairment
- Disability Certification Camps
- State wide project for the rehabilitation of persons with hearing impairment
- Vocation Training to SC/ST disabled persons
- Annadayini programme for tribal
- Training for Vayatadis (local mid-wives) in safe delivery practices
- Care providers for inmates of social justice institutions
- Rehabilitating dependents of indigent convicts
- Rehabilitation of destitute patients
- Victim Rehabilitation Scheme
- Modernisation of Social Welfare Institutions
- Hunger Free City Programme
- Award scheme for anganwadi workers
- Anganwadi Workers and Helpers Pension Scheme
- Anganwadi Welfare Fund
1. Establishment matters of all officers (Gazetted) under the directorate and other offices under Social Justice Department.
2. Special Rules of Social Justice Department.
1. National Children's award for exceptional Achievement
2. Rajiv Gandhi Manav Seva award
3. National award for Child Welfare
4. All petitions relating, to widows and the schemes of assistance to the remarriage of widows.
5. Establishment matters of Child Right Commission
6. Vocational Training Centers (VIC)
7. Establishment matters of all officers (Non Gazatted)
1. All papers relating to NISH including papers on fund release
2. NHFDC loan to KSWDC and KADç
3. Papers relating to Budget and. Annual Report of Social Welfare Report
4. Audit paras, Draft paras, Inspection Reports, PAC, PUC, Subject Committee papers etc.
5. Probation Service
6. Inspection Reports of SCPWD, NISH
7. Working Group Meeting
8. Chief Secretary's meeting with Secretaries and State Chief Secretaries meeting.
9. Plan Review and papers relating to Plan, Five Year Plan and Finance Commission etc.
10. Miscellaneous papers of the section.
11. National and State Awards for the Physically Handicapped and to those who are working in the field of Disability.
12. Scholarships to the physically Handicapped students.
13. Domestic Violence Act, Family Counselling and Counsellors
1. All papers relating to ICDS projects including construction of ICDS and
2. Special Nutrition Programme
3. Kishori Shakti Yojana
4. General ICDS
5. Programme for Welfare and development of children (Action plan of children)
6. Nutrition Policy
7. Papers relating to World Food Programme and feeding centers.
8. Anganwadi Workers and Helpers Welfare Fund Board.
9. Prime Minister's 15 point programme.
10. Tsunami Rehabilitation Programme
11. Balika Samidhi Yojana
12. SABLA, Mafritwa Sahayoga Scheme
13. Bati Bachavo, Bati Patavo Scheme
1. Dowry Prohibition Act.
2. Papers relating to Womes's Commission
3. Constitution of Anganwadi workers/helpers Selection Committee
4. Papers relating to Anganwadi workers and Helpets
5. Miscellaneous, papers of the section.
1. Papers relating to women welfare programme.
2. Working Women's Hostel
3. Indecent representation of Women Act, Immoral Traffic in women and Girls Act, Victim Compensation Scheme, Sexual Harassment of women at work place(Prevention Prohibition and Redressal) Act 2013
4. Integrated Women Empowerment Programme
5. Mahila Mandiram, Swadhar Grah, Rescue Home, Short Stay Home etc.
6. Grand-in-aid Schemes under STEP, UJJWALA, SWADHAR and General Grand-in-aid.
7. Financial Assistance Scheme and Rehabilitation Scheme for the Convict, ex-convicts and their families.
8. Nirbhaya and Gender Park.
9. Gender Advisory Board.
10. 10. Gender Polity and Transgender Policy
11. Nari Shakti Puraskar.
12. One Stop Centre.
13. National Mission of Empowerment of Women (NMEW)
14. Village convergence and Faci!itation Service (VCFS)
15. Nervazhi Project
16. Women Policy
17. Prohibition of Offenders Act 1958.
2. Financial Assistance to the inter-caste married couple other than SC/ST.
3. Distress Relief Fund for the Persons with disabilities.
4. Financial Assistance to the Widows for the marriage of their daughters.
5. Paper relating to Orphanage Control Board.
6. Grand-in-aid Schemes under IPOP and Prevention of Alcoholism and Substance (Drugs)
7. Old Age Homes
9. Kerala State Women's Development Corporation
1. Sree Chithra Poor Home.
2. Vanchi Poor Home and its branches.
3. Kerala State Social Welfare Advisory Board
4. Kerala Social Security Mission.
5. Aswasakiranam, Snehasparsham, Hunger Free City Scheme, Cancer Suraksha Scheme, Thalolam, Vayomithram, Karunya Deposit Scheme, Payment Gateway etc.
6. Old Age Policy, National Old Age Policy, Issues relating to Senior Citizens, Maintenance and Welfare of Senior Citizens Act and Rules etc.
7. Cochlear Implantation Scheme.
8. Financial Assistance to Endosulfan affected people.
1. Repair and purchase of vehicles of Social Welfare Department.
2. Construction and repairs of buildings of Social. Welfare Department.
3. Fixation of Rent of office buildings of Social Welfare Department.
4. Papers relating to begging.
5. Administration Report of Social Welfare Department.
6. All miscellaneous papers of Social Welfare Department.
7. MPs Conference, DC's Conference
8. Kuttanad Package.
1. Appointment and filling up of Backlog of Reserved vacancies of persons with disabilities.
2. All GOI Schemes for Differentially-abled persons including NPRPD and GPY
3. Implementation of PWD Act and Rules and National-Trust Act and Rules.
4. Implementation of disability certificate schemes by KSSM.
5. Framing of Rules regarding the control of Institutions for Mentally disabled and mentally ill persons.
6. Scheme for Implementation of Persons with Disabilities Act (SIPDA).
7. All papers relating to State Commissioner for Persons With Disabilities (Except IR and fund release)
8. Marriage assistance to differentially-abled women and daughters of differentially-abled parents.
9. Asha Bhavans
10. Composite Regional Centers.
1. All papers relating to KSHPWC
2. Employment, Training, Rehabilitation etc. of Differently-abled persons.
3. Establishment of hospitals for Differently-abled persons.
4. Home for Physically Handicapped persons
5. ADIP Scheme
6. All general and miscellaneous papers and petitions relating to Differently-abled persons.
7. Scheme for starting Care Homes for mentally retarded people.
8. Scheme for starting vocational and rehabilitation centres for cured mentally ill persons.
9. Home for the disabled children.
10. Home for the mentally disabled children, mentally disabled and mentally ill persons.
11. Miscellaneous papers of the Section.
12. All papers relating to State institute on Disabilities (SID) and Nutritional Institute of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (NJPMR)
1. 1. ICPS, JJ Act. Rules and its implementation, Juvenile Homes, Children's Home, After Care Home, Child line &related institutions.
2. Issues relating to Child Labour and Child begging, Children's Institution Registration.
3. Papers relating to Kerala State Council for Child Welfare.
4. Child Marriage Restraining Act.
5. Child Trafficking
1. Psycho Social Service Scheme. -
2. Papers relating to Adoption, Foundling Homes, CARA etc.
3. School Counsellors
4. All consolidation work of the Department including LA Interpellation,
| Additional Director |
Social Justice (Annex)
|The Official Website of Social Justice Department||www.swd.kerala.gov.in|
|Kerala Social Security Mission||www.socialsecuritymission.gov.in|
|Kerala State Women Development Corporation||www.kswdc.org|
|Kerala State Handicapped Persons Welfare Corporation Limited||www.hpwc.kerala.gov.in|
|Kerala Womens Commission website||www.keralawomenscommission.gov.in|
|Kerala Women Website||www.keralawomen.gov.in|
|Kerala State Palmyrah Products Development and Workers' Welfare Corporation Ltd. (KELPALM)||www.kelpalm.com|
|Office of the chief Commissioner for Persons with Disabilities||www.ccdisabilities.nic.in|
|Official website of Human Right Commission||www.kshrc.kerala.gov.in|
|Ministry of Women and Child Development||www.wcd.nic.in|
|Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment||www.socialjustice.nic.in|
|National Institute of Public Cooperation and Child Development||www.nipccd.nic.in|
|National Commission for Women||www.ncw.nic.in|
|National Commission for Protection of Child Rights||www.ncpcr.gov.in|
|Website of Child Line India||www.childlineindia.org.in|
|Kerala State Commission for Protection of Child Rights||www.kescpcr.kerala.gov.in|