Higher Education Page
Shri. Prof. C. Raveendranath
Minister for Education
Secretariat Annex II
Thiruvananthapuram – 1
Tel: 0471-2327574/ 2332868
|Higher Education Department|| |
Ground Floor, South Block
Dr. Usha Titus IAS
Room No. S47
Annex II, Secretariat
Smt. Sumana N. Menon IAS
Secretary, Higher Education (Printing and Stationery)
Room No. 373
Main Block, Secretariat
Higher education is a tool for social progress. It cannot be viewed as an end in itself. The Government cannot promote a throwback to diehard attitudes of obscurantism and to many stagnant concepts. Society has to change positively as the world changes and adapts itself. Higher education must aim at the comprehensive development of the new generation. It must help nation building at all layers. The 1957 EMS Government's Education Bill, the 1987 Nayanar Government's Total Literacy Campaign, the child friendly and activity oriented curriculum of 1996 were all historical signposts of this perception about education.
A Principal Secretary to Government heads Department of Higher Education.
- Directorate of Collegiate Education (www.collegiateedu.kerala.gov.in)
- Directorate of Technical Education (www.dtekerala.gov.in)
- Directorate of Entrance Examination
- Lal Bhahadur Sastri Centre for Technical Education (www.lbskerala.com) (www.lbscentre.org)
- Institute of Human Resource Development (www.ihrd.ac.in)
- State Central Library, Government of Kerala (www.statelibrary.kerala.gov.in)
Major Functions of the department
Collegiate Education and Technical Education, also comes under this department. Directorate of Collegiate Education is the Government agency to make arrangements for starting new Government colleges, new courses and for payment of salary to the staff of aided colleges. Directorate of Technical Education is in charge of various institutions imparting technical education in the state including Engineering colleges, Polytechnics, College of Fine arts, Food craft institutes, Commercial Institutes, Technical high schools, Vocational Training Centres, etc.
Higher Education(A) Department
|Higher Education(B) Department||2518280|
Higher Education(C) Department
|Higher Education(D) Department|| |
|Higher Education(F) Department||2518686|
Higher Education (G) Department
Higher Education (H) Department
Higher Education (J) Department
Higher Education (K) Department
|Higher Education (L) Department|| |
|Higher Education (P) Department|| |
1. Higher Education (A) Department
1. State Central Library, NSS and Miscellaneous.
2. Kerala State Library Council, NCC.
3. Establishment of Librarians under Common Pool.
2. Higher Education (B) Department
1. All Papers relating to University of Calicut, Grant-in-aid (Plan and Non-Plan) to Kerala,
M. G., CUSAT, Sree Sankaracharya University of Sanskrit, Calicut and Kannur Universities.
2. Papers relating to National University of Advanced Legal Studies
(except Act and Statutes).
3. Minority Status to Training Colleges and Unaided Arts and Science Colleges.
4. General Papers on academic matters, Section miscellaneous. Annual Accounts and Audit,
Draft para and Audit paras relating to Calicut University.
5. Papers relating to All University Acts/Statutes/Ordinances including enactment, amendments
and interpretation-Terms and conditions of service of Vice-Chancellors/Pro-Vice-Chancellors
of all Universities.
6. Establishment all new Universities (Central University, Open University, Technical University,
Medical University etc.).
7. All the matters concerning CUSAT and Kannur Universities.
8. Establishment papers of Kerala State Higher Education Council— Foreign visit of all Vice-
Chancellors and Pro-Vice-Chancellors and foreign visit of the Staff of Kannur University and CUSAT.
9. All miscellaneous petitions relating to Kannur university and CUSAT and Technology,
Audit para, Draft para, Audit paras relating to Annual Accounts of CUSAT and Kannur Universities.
10. All meetings of Kannur and CUSAT.
11. All O.Ps related to Kannur and CUSAT.
12. Papers relating to Kerala University, sanctioning of new aided and unaided Arts and Science Colleges
and courses and Training Colleges and courses, University Appellate Tribunal, IGNOU. Annual
Accounts, Draft para, Audit paras relating to University of Kerala.
13. All papers relating to M.G. University and Sree Sankaracharya University of Sanskrit. Papers
relating to Inter University Consultative Committee (IUCC). Annual Accounts and Audit, Draft para,
Audit para relating to M.G. University and Sree Sankaracharya University of Sanskrit.
3. Higher Education (C) Department
1. All papers including establishment papers relating to Government Law Colleges, Music Colleges,
Sanskrit Colleges and Physical Education College, Kozhikode, Budget relating to Law Colleges.
2. Papers relating to scholarships, National Merit Loan Scholarships, Minority Scholarship, Hindi
Scholarships, Papers relating to works in Collegiate Education Department. Purchase of
equipments, furniture, stores, books etc for the Colleges under Collegiate Department. Inspection
report on purchase in the colleges. Repair works of vehicles in the Directorate of Collegiate Education—
3. All Papers relating to UGC scale of pay and UGC regulations.
4. Higher Education (D) Department
1. Establishment papers relating to teaching staff of Private Arts & Science Colleges under
2. All Papers relating to grants to Private Arts & Science Colleges under Kerala University &
M. G. University, O. Ps filed by teaching staff of Private Arts & Science Colleges under
Kerala University, O.Ps filed by Managements of Private Arts & Science Colleges under Kerala
University & M. G. University, Minority status to Private Arts and Science Colleges coming under
Kerala & M.G. University, LWA of teaching staff of Private Arts & Science Colleges under Kerala
University and M.G. University, petitions filed before the Committee of Petition, draft para.
3. Establishment papers relating to teaching staff of Private Arts and Science Colleges and
Training Colleges under the Calicut University and Kannur University.
4. All papers relating to grants Private Colleges under Calicut University, nomination of
Government representatives to the Selection Committee of teaching and non-teaching staff
of all Private Colleges.
5. General papers relating to teaching staff of all Private Colleges, minority status to aided Colleges.
6. O. Ps filed by the teaching staff of Private Colleges under Calicut University, petitions filed
by the teaching staff of Calicut University before the Committee on petitions, draft paras.
7. Establishment papers relating to all non-teaching staff including the Ministerial Staff and Last
Grade Staff of all Private Colleges and Training Colleges including general questions.
8. O. Ps filed by the Non-teaching staff of all the Private Colleges and Training Colleges
9. Petitions filed by the non-teaching staff before the Committee on Petitions.
10. Grading of Libraries of all Private Colleges. UGC placement of Librarians, General papers.
11. Miscellaneous papers of the Section.
5. Higher Education (F) Department
Phone: 0471- 2518686
1. Establishment papers of Director, Additional Director and Deputy Director of Collegiate Education
2. Establishment papers of Principals (Spl. Gr.) and Principals of Government Arts and Science Colleges.
3. Establishment papers of Selection Grade Lecturers in Government Arts and Science
Colleges, establishment papers relating to Lecturers and Principals of Government Training Colleges.
4. Establishment papers of non-teaching staff up to LDC in Government Arts and Science Colleges,
Sanskrit College, Training Colleges covering under the Department of Collegiate Education Department.
5. Establishment papers of non-teaching staff up to LDC of Government Law Colleges (except creation
and continuation of post).
6. All establishment papers relating to Lecturers (Sr. Scale) of Government Arts and Science
Colleges, creation/shifting of teaching posts in Government Arts and Science Colleges, budget
papers of Collegiate Education Department, deputation of Lecturer and Lecturer (Sr. Scale) of
Collegiate Education Department, continuance of Temporary posts in Government Arts and
Science Colleges, establishment papers of Ministerial Staff of Collegiate Education (From UDC to
Accounts officer/Administrative Assistant).
7. Issues related to the candidates selected by KPSC for the posts of Lecturers in Government Arts
and Science Colleges.
8. Establishment papers relating to teaching staff of Private Arts and Science Colleges under
M. G. University, administrative report of Collegiate Education Department, miscellaneous
papers of the section.
6. Higher Education (G) Department
1. Establishment matters of Teaching Faculty in the Government Engineering Colleges in the State.
2. Establishment matters of the Staff of Commissionerate of Entrance Examinations,
Kerala Students matters of B. Tech, M. Tech., MCA, MBA etc., in the Government Engineering
Colleges, Deputation of the Teaching Faculty for Higher Studies under the Quality
Improvement Programme, Starting new Engineering Colleges under Government sector.
3. Establishment papers relating to the Directorate of Technical Education—Regional Directorate of
Technical Education at Kothamangalam and Calicut—Office of the Joint Commissioners of
Technical Education, Thiruvananthapuram.
4. Budget papers relating to Technical Education Department.
5. Appropriation Proposals relating on PAC, Committee relating to Technical Department.
6. Miscellaneous papers in Higher Education (G) Department, purchase proposals of all Government
7. Construction of buildings in all Government Engineering Colleges, papers relating to IIM, Kozhikode,
8. Matters relating to the Commissioner for Entrance Examinations, matters relating to the Fee Regulatory
9. Matters relating to admission for professional Engineering/Medical and Allied Courses.
7. Higher Education (H) Department
1. Establishment papers of Gazetted Officers of Printing Department.
2. Establishment papers of Technical Staff of Printing Department.
3. OP files of Printing Department, General papers.
4. Establishment paper relating to Printing Department viz., Audit Objections, draft para, reconciliation
of accounts, appropriation accounts, Re-appropriation, supplementary demands, Budget
Estimates, Annual Plan, Expenditure Commission etc.
5. Papers relating to Working Group and Audit Committee, Special Rules of Kerala Government Presses,
Service Papers relating to Legislature Committee viz., PAC, Estimates Committee, Subject committee etc.
6. Establishment papers of Stationary Department both Gazetted and non-gazetted (clerical
as well as technical), Purchase of Stationary Stores.
7. Compassionate Employment Scheme of Stationery Department.
8. Audit Objection, draft paras, appropriation accounts, reconciliation of accounts, Supplementary demand,
budget estimate, annual plan, expenditure commission etc., relating to Stationery Department and
papers relating to Working Group.
9. Audit Committees of Stationery Department General and Establishment papers of Stationery department.
10. Miscellaneous papers of stationery department and Special Rules relating to Stationery Department.
11. Papers of Legislative Committees relating to Stationery Department.
12. Any other papers specifically allotted then and there to all Seats H1, H2 and H3.
13. Establishment papers of NGO's (Clerical) of Printing Department.
14. Establishment of New Presses in the State, purchase of machinery and spares for the machines
and spares for the machines of Printing Department.
15. Compassionate Employment Scheme of Printing Department.
16. L. A. Interpellation of Printing Department.
17. Sanction for Printing of new forms and re-printing of old-forms.
18. All papers relating to Kerala Books and Publication Society.
8. Higher Education (J) Department
1. Establishment papers relating to Colleges of Fine Arts, Thiruvananthapuram, Thrissur and Mavelikkara,
LBS Centre for Science and Technology, Private Industrial Schools.
2. Recognition of KGTE (TEN) Courses in Engineering and Drawing, KGT (Typewriting and Shorthand)
syllabus revision and miscellaneous papers of the section.
3. Establishment matters relating to the ministerial staff of Government Engineering Colleges. Papers
relating to Colleges under IHRD and LBS.
4. Papers relating to sanction for new self-financing Engineering Colleges, MBA institutions, MCA
institutions, Hotel Management and Catering Technology (4 year degree) Institutions, College of
Applied Science and Model Polytechnics (under IHRD) and sanction of new courses in these institutions.
5. Establishment papers of IHRD, papers relating to Engineering Colleges under KSRTC, CCEK and CAPE.
6. Papers relating to conferment of minority status to self-financing Engineering Colleges and Educational
Institutions under the Medical Sector.
7. Papers relating to National Institute of Technology and Center for Electronic Design and Technology.
8. Establishment matters relating to Technical High Schools, T. G. M. T. Center, Government Commercial
Institutes, Technical Higher Secondary School under IHRD.
9. Establishment matters of the three Private Aided Engineering Colleges (M. A. College of Engineering,
Kothamangalam, NSS College of Engineering, Palakkad and TKM College of Engineering, Kollam) and
papers from AICTE in respect of Aided Engineering Colleges.
10. Subject relating to the B.Tech. Lateral Entry and State Project Facilitation Unit.
9. Higher Education (K) Department
1. Faculty Improvement Programme of University Grants Commission.
2. All UGC assisted works relating to Government Colleges and hostels.
3. Miscellaneous papers of the section.
4. General Papers on Plan Schemes of Higher Education Department.
5. Papers on Financial Assistance to Voluntary Sanskrit Institutions except Government Sanskrit College,
Charitable Endowments relating to Colleges. All papers relating to KSSTM.
6. Papers on ISDL Central Advisory Board of Education and Education Ministers Conference.
7. Miscellaneous papers in the Higher Education Department.
8. Consolidation work of Higher Education Department, EDUSAT, Education Grid, Departmental Reviews.
9. All papers relating to KSAVRC and NAAC.
10. Students Conference and Departmental Staff Conference.
11. Monthly Business/Fortnightly Statement, Chief Secretary's Conference, Governor's Report,
M. P's Conference, Collector's Conference.
12. Visit from Union MHRD Visit of Minority Affairs Committee etc.
10. Higher Education (L) Department
1. Establishment matters relating to CCEK (Except student's matters).
2. All papers relating to Aided Polytechnic College (Except student's matters new schemes).
3. Establishment matters of Tradesman/Trade Instructor in Government Engineering Colleges
and Government Polytechnics (Except in Women's Polytechnic Colleges), Acquisition
of land, Administrative sanction, Purchase, Construction and Rent.
4. Miscellaneous papers in the Section.
5. All papers relating to World Bank Aided Technical Edcucation Programme.
6. All paper relating to Women's Polytechnic College, various Courses in Polytechnics
(Approval, Reorganisation etc.), Students petitions, Curriculum revision, Papers of Academic
7. Papers of Academic nature related to Examination Wing, Special Rules etc.
8. All Establishment papers relating to Government Polytechnic Colleges
(Except Tradesman and Trade Instructor).
9. Papers relating to Technical Staff of Engineering Colleges (Except Tradesman and Trade Instructor).
10. Establishment papers of Joint Directors Polytechnic Stream.
11. Higher Education (P) Department
1. Liaison between the Department and Legislature Secretariat on furnishing answer to L. A.
and its consolidations.
2. Watch over disposal of papers relating to various committees on the Legislature.
3. Watch furnishing of replies to Lok Sabha/Rajya Sabha questions from the related sections of
Higher Education Department.
4. Papers relating to Right to Information Act.
Name and Designation
|Department of Higher Education||www.highereducation.kerala.gov.in|
|Department of General Education, Government of Kerala||www.education.kerala.gov.in|
|Directorate of Collegiate Education||www.collegiateedu.kerala.gov.in|
|Kerala State Higher Education Council (KSHEC)|
|Directorate of Technical Education||www.dtekerala.gov.in|
Lal Bahadur Sastri Centre for Technical Education
| www.lbskerala.com |
|Institute of Human Resource Development||www.ihrd.ac.in|
|State Central Library, Government of Kerala||www.statelibrary.kerala.gov.in|
|Public Entrance Examination Coaching Scheme (PEECS)||www.peecs.kerala.gov.in|