A new Department by name Environment Department was formed by delinking the subject 'Environment' from the then existing Science, Technology and Environment Department, vide G.O. (Ms) No.10/2006/GAD dated 06.01.2006.The department of Environment is the nodal agency for the planning, promotion, co-ordination and overseeing the implementation of Kerala's environmental and forestry policies and programmes.
The Department shall also be the nodal Department to co ordinate with other departments on matters related with environment, awareness generation, climate change management etc.The primary concerns of the department are implementation of policies and programmes relating to conservation of the state's natural resources including its lakes and rivers, its biodiversity, forests and wildlife, ensuring the welfare of animals, and the prevention and abatement of pollution.
The Department of Environment was formed by delinking the subject 'Environment' from the then existing Science, Technology and Environment Department.Later at directorate level, Department of Environment and Climate Change (DoECC) under Environment Department was constituted in December 2010 to encourage and promote environment and Climate Change related activities in the Kerala as per G.O.(Ms.) No.06/2010/Envt dated 18.12.2010 and the existing Environment Management Agency, Kerala is declared as the Directorate of Environment and Climate Change under the Environment Department, Government of Kerala.
The Main functions of the Department are:
-Take up State level environmental development programmes and implement them in collaboration with appropriate agencies.
-Take up State level developmental programmes (Plan, Non Plan, Externally aided, Centrally Sponsored Schemes etc.)
-Activities related to National Action Plan on Climate Change.
-Exercise administrative control of all environmentally related institutes being established in the State.
-Investigate and take appropriate action on complaints related to Environment (Protection) Act 1986.
-Conduct environmental appraisal at planning level related to the development schemes of the State Government.
-Scrutinize the environment related proposals prepared by Government/ non Governmental organizations.
-Involve in various environmental technology activities of Local Self Government institutions, information on environmental technologies and develop a database system.
These objectives are well supported by a set of legislative and regulatory measures, aimed at the preservation, conservation and protection of the environment.
Mission and Vision of the Department
The Kerala State Pollution Control Board and the Kerala State Biodiversity Boards comes under the administrative control of this Department. Various activities for pollution control and biodiversity conservation are carried out through the Boards. An Environment management Agency was also formed vide GO (Ms) No. 5/2007/Envt. dated 28.07./07 for strengthening the Department and for coordinating activities related to environment carried out by various Departments.
Subjects Allotted to Environment Department
1.All matters relating to environment and allied matters dealt with by the Nodal Department.
2. Administration of Biodiversity Act and Rules, Kerala State Biodiversity Board and allied matters.
3. Administration of all Acts and Rules relating to Environmental Protection.
4. Environment awareness, creation of Eco-clubs and allied matters.
5. Kerala State Pollution Control Board.
6. Climate change and allied matters.
7. River conservation programmes.
8. Environmental awards.
9. Environmental Research and Development.
10. Environment Information System.
11.Kerala Coastal Zone Management Authority and allied matters.
The Environment Department shall be specially responsible for and charged with the following functions, namely:-
1. It shall be the Nodal Department in the State in all subjects related to or impigning on environment or climate.
2. It shall he responsible for and charged with the implementation of environment policy of the State, enforcement of the legislative, statutory and executive measures for protection and conservation of environment and climate of the State, except in the case of the subjects specifically allotted to any other Departments as per Part II of these rules.
3. It shall be responsible for co-ordination of the activities of different Government Departments, Authorities, Institutions and Local Governments in the State, relating to environment and climate.
4. It shall ensure the Science and Technology inputs are an essential part of Government's decision making process with regard to environmental issues concerning the State. It shall also ensure that the Scientific Research and Development activities in the related areas and reports of scientific studies and technological innovations are put to .effective implementation or actionable Environment Management Schemes.
5. It shall be responsible for creating environmental awareness and providing environmental education among citizens especially students and members of the public through various public as well as Non Governmental Organizations.
6. It shall facilitate issues of conservation of environment and primary environment care through the decentralized planning and development system of the Local Self Governn1ent Institutions as an effective mechanism to ensure environmental protection at grass root level with popular participation.
Shri. Pinarayi Vijayan
Office of the Chief Minister 3rd Floor, North Block, Secretariat, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala PIN- 695001 Tel: 0471 – 2333241 FAX: 0471 – 2333489 E-mail: email@example.com Residence: 0471 – 2314853, 2318406 Website: www.keralacm.gov.in
South Sandwich Block Room – SSBT II, 4th Floor Government Secretariat Thiruvanathapuram - 695 001 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Usha Titus IAS
Room No. 406
Annex II, Secretariat
Department of Environment & Climate Change
Department of Environment & Climate Change (DoECC) Devikripa,Pallimukku Pettah P.O,Thiruvananthapuram – 695024
1. All maters relating to Environment and allied matters.
2. Kerala State Biodiversity Board and Administration of Biodiversity Act and Rules and allied matters. 3. Administration of all Acts relating to Environmental Protection. 4. Environmental awareness creation, Eco-clubs and allied matters. 5. Kerala State Pollution Control Board. 6. Climate change and allied matters. 7. River Conservation programmes. 8. Environmental Awards. 9. Environmental Research and Development. 10.Environment Information System. 11.Administrative Control of Kerala Coastal Zone Management Authority. 12.Water Appellete Authority.
Schemes & Programmes
The following are some of the major schemes being implemented by the Environment Department
1.Biodiversity Conservation 2.Eco Restoration of Wetlands 3.Environmental Research & Development 4.Environmental Education & Training 5.Air & Water Quality Monitoring 6.Environment Impact Assessment 7.Climate Change
Ph: 0471 2333990, 2518030
Ph: 0471 2517245
Two sections are functioning under the Department with following officials: