Consumer Affairs Page
Government have formed a separate department of Consumer Affairs as per the GO(MS)No.352/07/GAD dated 17-07-2007 by incorporating the Section of Consumer Affairs under the Food & Civil Supplies Department and the Legal Metrology Department under the Revenue Department for strengthening and coordinating the consumer protection measures and activities in the state. The Consumer Protection Act, 1986, one of the benevolent social legislations in the Country, intends to protect the consumers from exploitations.
The provisions of the Act cover Products as well as Services to provide cheap, speedy and simple redressal to each District and the State Consumer Disputes Redressal Commisssion at the State Level, in Kerala. The Consumer Affairs Department, Government of Kerala, Thiruvananthapuram is responsible for the formulation and monitoring of schemes on Consumer Protection in the State, and strengthening of the consumer movement,apart from implementing the policy and programmes of the Central Government.As per G. O. (Ms)No. 348/2013/GAD dtd. 04/12/2013, the subject 'Legal Metrology' is now under the control of Revenue department. However files related to Legal Metrology are routed to the Hon'ble Minister for Food and Civil Supplies through Special Secretary, Food and Civil Supplies.
|Organisation Structure (PDF)|
Adv. G. R. Anil
Minister for Food and Civil Supplies
Room No. S-210(Old-644)
Shri. Teeka Ram Meena IAS
Additional Chief Secretary
Room No. 388
Main Block , Secretariat
Phone: 0471- 2517380, 2335462
It also acts as a storing and clearing-house for the exchange and constant flow of information, ideas and activities relating to consumer protection and welfare.
1. Organize seminars/workshops/conference/round tables on the contemporary issues relating to consumer protection.
2.Sensitize trade and industry and the service providers to the requirements of the consumers, especially to alternative and informal mechanisms to resolve their complaints and redress their grievances
1) Selection Committee of Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission/Consumer Disputes Redressal Fora.
2) Strengthening of Consumer Affairs Department in Government.
3) State Award on Consumer Protection to Voluntary Consumer Organizations.
4) Schemes on Consumer Welfare Fund other than by State Government, and its monitoring.
5) Encouragement of Voluntary Consumer Organizations in the State.
6) Evaluation of Consumer Welfare Fund Projects undertaken by Voluntary Consumer Organizations.
7) Prevention of Exploitation of Consumers and Unfair Trade Practices and Legislations thereof.
8) Continuance Sanction of Temporary Posts attached to Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission/Consumer Disputes Redressal Fora.15
9) Monthly and Quarterly Progress on Consumer Activities undertaken in the State.
10) Camp Sittings of Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission/ConsumerDisputes Redressal Fora.
11) Setting up of Additional Fora in the State.
12) Construction and Maintenance of Building and Assignment of Land thereof to Consumer Fora.
13) Lok Sabha / Rajya Sabha Questions on Consumer Affairs.
14) Papers on Legislature Committees relating to Consumer Affairs.
15) Consumer Affairs—General Review Meetings.
16) Training to Non-Judicial Members and Staff.
17) World Consumer Rights Day—Celebration.
18) Papers on National Consumer Day.
19) Providing Information to Websites.
20) Introduction of Consumer Protection Act and Rules in Colleges/Schools.
21) General Papers on Consumer Affairs.
22) Miscellaneous Papers.
23) Implementation of Plan Schemes and Annual Action Plan etc.on Consumer Affairs.
24) State Consumer Protection Council—Constitution and matter thereof.
25) Central Consumer Protection Council.
26) Providing Central Assistance to State, Implementation, Evaluation thereof.
27) Issues raised in the Standing Working Group of Central Consumer Protection Council/Parliament.
28) Providing Infrastructure to Consumer Fora including purchase of Books/Periodicals.
29) One-time grant" by the Central Government for Providing Infrastructure facilities of Consumer Fora.
30) Reports on Functional/Non-Functional Consumer Fora.
31) Leave, Working Hours and Other Service Conditions including Amenities like Purchase of Vehicle, Providing of
32) Telephone, rented Building etc. of Personnel in Consumer Fora.
33) Consumer Protection Act, 1986/Rules and Amendment thereunder.
34) Consumer Awareness Programmes.
|Additional Secretary|| Office: 0471-2320968 |
|Under Secretary||Office: 0471-2518432|